Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin condition that can occur anywhere on your skin. It is very common, affecting 2% of the population.
Although the symptoms and appearance of the condition can vary from each individual, the most commonly reported are:
- Red, scaly patches on the scalp or skin
- Shedding of scales of skin
- Burning sensation on the skin
- Painful or swollen joints (psoriatic arthritis)
The main cause of psoriasis is not known, but it often runs in families. Some of the known factors that can trigger the symptoms, or make them worse include:
- Injury to the skin (including severe sunburn)
- Certain medications
- Hormonal changes
Although psoriasis is a chronic condition, there are an exciting range of treatments available to manage and relieve patients of the symptoms it causes. If you think you may be affected by psoriasis, our Dermatologists would be happy to assess your needs and develop a treatment plan for you.